To rent a cottage:
Please feel free to contact us for any other dates.
Built in red sandstone, the first of a long line of the "Most Beautiful Villages of France", Collonges La Rouge bears its name well: The Ruby of the Dordogne Valley seems to blaze in the green setting of the surrounding hills.
We take pleasure in strolling through its meandering alleys, meeting artists and artisans ... Before landing on a terrace in the evening, and taste the generous cuisine of this unexpected place.
Collonges-la-Rouge offers an original and unusual spectacle, both by the flamboyance of its stones and by the richness of its heritage.
From the 16th c. Collonges became the residence of the great officials of the Vicomte de Turenne and the jurists of châtellenie.
From here come many castles and towers in the shape of pepperpot.
Unfortunately, in the nineteenth century, The city falls into lethargy and houses begin to fall apart.
However the filmmakers appreciate its framework for historical reconstructions. Artists settle there.
The powerful association 'Friends of Collonges' stimulates its rebirth. The mayor of the time, Charles Ceyrac, launched the idea of 'the most beautiful villages of France'. Collonges becomes the example which serves as a reference.
Free visit of the village
Your journey will be punctuated by the discovery of
- The church built in the 11th century. And fortified during the wars of religion in the sixteenth century.
- The penitents' chapel built in the 13th century.
- The castle of Vassinhac, built in 1583, both refined and powerful flanked by beautiful hexagonal towers that shelter stairs hexagonal towers with spiral staircases
- The hall where we find the old oven where the villagers cooked their bread
- The house of the Mermaid which now houses a museum of art and popular traditions.
"L'étonnant voyage" - "A surprising journey"